Spirit of the Big Book (SBB) Constitution
What do we believe in?
- We believe in the AA program of recovery as described in the Big Book.
- We believe in one-on-one Big Book sponsorship.
- We believe in the Steps.
- We believe in a Higher Power and will not shy away from talking about a Higher Power.
- We believe in responsible sponsorship.
- We believe that the group needs to be reasonable and flexible in dealing with issues as they arise.
Voting powers (how to get them and how to lose them)
- Your third of the most recent six business meetings entitles you to voting power.
- You maintain voting power UNLESS you miss three business meetings in a row (unless you are seriously ill or otherwise incapacitated, as will be determined on a case-by-case basis)
- To remove someone’s voting powers requires 2/3 majority of all voting members
Regular votes (non-fundamental changes)
- Simple quorum: 20% of voting members must be present
- Simple majority (50% + 1) voting members
Fundamental changes to the constitution of the meeting (example: changes to business meeting, changes to standard meeting format or any other format)
- Special quorum 50% of voting members must be present
- Special resolution: 2/3 majority voting members
- Persons can volunteer or be nominated
- Election vote is a special resolution of 2/3 majority voting members
Continuous Sobriety Time Recommendation for service position:
Treasurer: 1 year
GSR: 6 months
Secretary: 3 months